You’re about to take your first flight with your baby — and you’re understandably probably a little bit nervous. While you can’t predict everything that will happen on travel day, packing thoughtfully for the journey ahead will certainly prepare you for 90% of what’s likely to happen! One of the most important items you'll need to bring with you on your trip is a well-organized diaper bag. But with so many items to consider, it can be challenging to figure out what exactly to pack. That's where we come in!
In this article, we've put together a comprehensive diaper bag packing list for flying with your baby. From diapers and extra clothes to feeding supplies and entertainment items, we've got you covered. This list includes everything you'll need for your baby's first flight. And the best part? We've designed this list to fit perfectly in our Getaway Bag, so you can easily carry and access everything you need on the plane. Without further ado, let's dive into the must-haves for your baby's diaper bag when flying.
Before you pack a single item, start out by writing out a comprehensive packing list, organizing items into 5 major categories:
- Food: Be sure you have more than you need and pack extra to accommodate for delays. If you are bringing milk in any format, make sure you have a plan for how you will prepare it on-flight. For toddlers and preschoolers, it’s also a great idea to plan to buy additional food at the airport and on-flight.
- Entertainment: Pack a diverse mix of NEW and small toys, books, and activities, especially if they are 6 months or older. If you have time, wrap up these items for your little one to unwrap.
- Clothes: Pack 2 full extra outfits for your little one, and an extra top for you in case of an inevitable accident.
- Diapers changing items: Bring 1.5x diapers you expect to use, diaper wipes, a changing pad, diaper cream. We recommend using the Sidekick to keep all these items organized, compact, and easily accessible to bring to the all-too-crammed airplane lavatory!
- Personal & Hygiene Items: While packing for your little one, do not forget to bring the personal items you need for yourself (phone, wallet, passports) as well as hygiene items to keep your little one’s environment and hands as germ-free as possible (e.g. hand sanitizer, disinfectant surface wipes, etc.).
As a starting point, here is a list of the specific items we pack for a 9-month-old baby for a 6-hour that you can tweak based on your little one’s age and the journey you’re taking! To view a video of how we pack most of this list:
👕 CLOTHES + SLEEP:
- 2x full outfits (2x sleepers)
- 1x drool bib
- 2x burp clothes
- 1x blanket or light sleep sack
- 1x extra shirt for parent
- 1x small lovey
- 1x portable sound machine
- 4-5x food items
- 1x milk bottle (COMOTOMO 8oz)
- 3x servings of formula
- 1x silicon bib
- 1x silicon plate/bowl
- 1x waterbottle
- 4-5x toys
- 1-2x books
💩 DIAPER CHANGES:
- 1x Sidekick
- 4-5x diapers (in the Sidekick)
- 3-4 extra diapers (laptop compartment)
- 1x Changing pad
- 1x Diaper cream
- Hand sanitizer
- Antibacterial wipes
- Personal thermos or waterbottle
By using this comprehensive packing list as a starting point (and adjusting it to your little baby’s and your specific needs!), you’ll feel much more confident and prepared for your upcoming flight! Thoughtful planning and the right gear goes a long way when traveling with a baby. For our complete tips on how to survive (and thrive!) throughout the whole journey, and even on 10+ hour flights, check out our other guide: Long Haul Flights with Your Baby: How to Survive and Thrive. Safe travels!